2011-12-18

My Missed Connection

You know what sucks about Craig's List?
You can only join once you're eighteen!
Actually, you can't do a lot of things until you're eighteen, but for Craig's List - specifically, the "missed connections" section - say you actually had a missed connection with some person you want to get to know. What are you supposed to do if you're not eighteen, and so you can't post your missed connection? Yeah, you could cheat and sign up under a false birthdate! But, what if someone finds out? Or something happens, and you need to admit your real birthdate?
Or it might just be because I'm too nervous to actually post the missed connection I want to.
It happened last year, just after christmas. My mother promised my sister and I that for our sixteenth birthday's, she'd take us to New York. It was a birthday and christmas present combined, and it was truly amazing. After being there, despite all the benefits in Canada, and how much I dislike a lot of things about the States, I desperately want to move to New York.
It was the second day of our three-day-trip, and we needed something to do to kill time before going to see Chicago at the theatre. Wandering around New York was beautiful and intense, but cold. Especially with all the snow falling in to your boots when you try to jump over the huge piles along the streets, but end up landing in it. Sadly, while we were there, there was a huge snow storm, and all of the streets and sidewalks were packed with probably three-four feet of snow. It was beautiful though!
It just so happened that we were close to the MoMA, and I convinced my mum to take me there. The outside looked like an old factory with no windows. It was dark, and concrete, all blocked in with only a sign attached to the wall saying "MoMA!" and that was it. The instant you open the main doors, it's like you're transported in to some modern day minimalist fantasy building. All white, with clean lines, and stylized concrete accents; it was strangely pretty.
Being a huge fan of the minimalist style, I was in awe of everything around. As we walked through, I took in as much as I could. There was furniture that looked like it was ripped out from early sixties homes. There were photos with clippings of who-knows-what photoshopped in. There were weird contraptions hanging from the ceiling, in bright, pop-art colours, looking like the chandeliers of Andy Warhol. I think that was what they were titled . . .
It was the breeding ground of all things weird, retro, and modern. Odd combination, but it worked.
Of course, it wasn't until the fifth floor that I really fell in love with MoMA.
I'd weaved so far in to the maze of walls that I thought for a moment I wouldn't be able to get back out. I paid no mind to it, as there were all sorts of captivating photos and sketches all over the walls. Most of them were hard to understand (honestly, a photo collage of mannequin legs with number codes on them?), but there were a few that caught my attention, and one boldly did.
Desiree, by Alex Prager, hidden, until I moved around the outside of the room, and looked back at the huge photo on the back side of the center wall.
I was so caught up in its bright, vintage extravagance that I didn't notice that I was being watched. When I finally pulled my eyes away, instead of meeting my mum's, they latched on to a pair of light blue eyes.
The first thing I noticed was how gorgeous he was. Tall, looking right down at me with ice-blue eyes, and shaggy light brown hair. He was almost smiling, but in an embarrassed sort of way.
It only lasted a moment, and then he turned and disappeared in to the mass of art appreciators. I saw him that once, and that was it. Even though it was a year ago, I still feel electric when I think about it.
That was really the only sort of somewhat positive attention I've ever gained from the opposite sex. I'll save the negative times for a different post. My lack of a love life would need an entire post to itself, it's that pathetic.
So here's my missed connection, and I hope one day - before I turn eighteen and officially post it on Craig's List - that whomever he is might stumble on this and start up a fancy chat with me. Maybe.
And because I can't resist, here's a song to listen to:
And a movie to watch:
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment